A betterC base

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Feb 9 21:24:14 UTC 2018

On 2/9/2018 1:14 AM, meppl wrote:
> let's say python is supposed to offer slow execution. So, python doesn't prove
> reference counting is fast (even if it is possible in theory). D on the other
> hand provides binaries who are expected to execute fast.

I believe it has been shown (sorry, no reference) that GC is faster in aggregate
time, and RC is perceived faster because it doesn't have pauses.

This makes GC better for batch jobs, and RC better for interactive code.

Of course, the issue can get more complex. GC uses 3x the memory of RC, and so
you can get extra slowdowns from swapping and cache misses.