D-dll support: testers needed round 2

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sat Feb 10 12:34:03 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 at 02:24:58 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> On 09/02/2018 8:34 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>
> -import switch makes me a little concerned, what exactly is it
> changing that makes it required?

Thank you Rikki for derailing this topic with the first post. As
you might noticed, the title says "testers needed" not "concerns
needed". And if you absolutly have to voice your concerns at
least do it in a usefull way. Give a propper reason for your
concerns, ideally a technical one. Not just "I'm concerned about
x".

Did you Read DIP 45 in its current state? Did you watch my DConf
Talk about Dll support? Did you understand how the shared library
menchanism works on windows? If you did then the details behind
the -import switch should be very self explanatory. If you didn't
-import is needed for the compiler to know when to dllimport a
symbol. If you need more detail you will have to wait until I
updated DIP 45. With the little time I have at the moment I can't
re-explain the full details of the implemenation to everyone in
person, that would be very bad use of my time.

So if you want to help, download the binary distribution and give
it a try. Try to find a corner case with dlls that my
implementation doesn't cover. That would be useful.

Kind Regards
Benjamin Thaut