Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

German Diago germandiago at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 15:07:00 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 11 February 2018 at 14:33:33 UTC, psychoticRabbit
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 at 20:45:44 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> https://www.quora.com/Why-hasnt-D-started-to-replace-C++
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Why indeed!
>
> "I am appalled at the monstrous messes that computer scientists
> can produce under the name of ‘improvements’. It is to efforts
> such as C++ that I here refer. These artifacts are filled with
> frills and features but lack coherence, simplicity,
> understandability and implementability. If computer scientists
> could see that art is at the root of the best science, such
> ugly creatures could never take birth."

If it is not implementable (it is complex, I agree), why there
are 3 major compilers? I think the future should go towards
simplification a bit more for the idiomatic code. But there are
features you cannot ignore in low-level languages: asm embedding,
bit control, reference vs value, due to register efficiency and
others. So I do not think it is such a *super bad* choice. In
day-to-day life you need these things.