D-dll support: testers needed round 2

Amorphorious Amorphorious at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 20:51:15 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 10 February 2018 at 12:34:03 UTC, Benjamin Thaut
wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 February 2018 at 02:24:58 UTC, rikki cattermole
> wrote:
>> On 09/02/2018 8:34 PM, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
>>
>> -import switch makes me a little concerned, what exactly is it
>> changing that makes it required?
>
> Thank you Rikki for derailing this topic with the first post.
> As you might noticed, the title says "testers needed" not
> "concerns needed". And if you absolutly have to voice your
> concerns at least do it in a usefull way. Give a propper reason
> for your concerns, ideally a technical one. Not just "I'm
> concerned about x".
>
> Did you Read DIP 45 in its current state? Did you watch my
> DConf Talk about Dll support? Did you understand how the shared
> library menchanism works on windows? If you did then the
> details behind the -import switch should be very self
> explanatory. If you didn't -import is needed for the compiler
> to know when to dllimport a symbol. If you need more detail you
> will have to wait until I updated DIP 45. With the little time
> I have at the moment I can't re-explain the full details of the
> implemenation to everyone in person, that would be very bad use
> of my time.
>
> So if you want to help, download the binary distribution and
> give it a try. Try to find a corner case with dlls that my
> implementation doesn't cover. That would be useful.
>
> Kind Regards
> Benjamin Thaut

lol, come on man!!! WTF?!?!?! You know D is filled with people
who have to whine about "breaking changes" It's always either to
whine than work.

I might give this a try if I ever get back in to D programming...
as of now D is to screwed up for me to invest any more time.
Great concept, poor implementation. Too much of a hodge podge of
things without really thinking the consequences through.  It's
not necessary bad but when you couple it with all the lame
tooling and IDE's that offer no real efficiency it becomes an
issue. Easier just to use a modern well equipped compiler with
good documentation and good IDE's and good libraries.

It's kinda like someone invented a great car engine but forgot to
put AC in it, manual windows, etc. Some people will love it just
because of the engine... others are more balanced in there
analysis and realize the engine isn't car and rather ride in
style at the cost of a few HP than suffering in the heat just to
get to their destination 0.53 min faster. Unfortunately D seems
to be made up of people who only care about the engine.