Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Feb 12 01:45:42 UTC 2018

On 02/11/2018 06:47 AM, rikki cattermole wrote:

> Dub can do everything that you have described.

No it can't. Not if you value your time and sanity.

> You are fully free to run cmake if you wish before the build. Will it
> result in binaries that are decent? Probably not for most use cases.

I *have* taken exactly that approach. It caused me literally years of
unending greif, even single-handedly turned me away from doing much in D
for a long while, and ultimately just proved intractable. Abandoning dub
*entirely* is actually *easier* than trying to use it *only* as a
package manager. But if you're putting out a D lib, you can't do that
because people expect a lib to be part of a package system (for good
reason).