Being Positive

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Tue Feb 13 02:29:46 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 23:54:29 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
wrote:
> Sorry if I'm hurting someone's sentiment, but is it just me who
> is seeing so much negative trend in the D forum about D itself?
> I don't remember seeing so much negative about Rust on rust
> forum and so on.

Yeah, I think it's a different community.
I'm not sure why this is the case, maybe because Rust doesn't
promise to be a great language and people suffer enough from
fighting their compiler all day, that they have no energy left
for trolling?

All joking set apart - Rust has a few very active fanboys (like
Steve Klabnik) who have a very loud, positive voice and push the
crowd.
Maybe they also have better moderation and processes. For
example, for D people don't like submitting Bugs on Bugzilla and
rather post on the NG. I don't know the reason for this except
for maybe that they don't want to create a Bugzilla account.

We should simply encourage everyone more actively to open issues
instead of making threads over threads of the same issue.

> Do you think it will help in reminding people not to post any
> negative things?

There's also a technical solution to this: Hackernews-like
up/down voting.

See e.g. https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/84

> It shouldn't become strict moderation, but at the same time, I
> really don't like seeing so much negative trend.

Yeah, it leaves a very bad impression even though D is great and
some people can simply never have enough.

http://screamintothevoid.com/

> We need great minds from across various industries and
> experiences to strengthen ourselves. So please promote D with
> what it can offer at the moment instead of spreading negative
> sentiment of how it can do certain things with some missing
> crazy syntax sugar, etc. We know such things are being/can be
> worked upon.

Thanks a lot for this post!!
Don't let yourself get frustrated by the bad mood of some people
in this NG.

The real actions and discussions happen on GitHub or Slack which
have a very positive "vibe".
It's just a rather "exclusive" society on GitHub at the moment...

> D is a wonderful programming language and let's share awesome
> things we do with it.

Yes, I absolutely agree. Please, let's spread the word!