GSOC 2018 - no slots for D

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Tue Feb 13 02:38:28 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 02:12:10 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 01:59:16 UTC, psychoticRabbit
> wrote:
>> Second, I don't get it. Are you saying D Foundation currently
>> only provides such to students of UPB?
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2016/12/05/the-d-language-foundations-scholarship-program/
>
> You gotta start somewhere ;-)

ok.. but I've never heard of UPB. Where is Romania anyway? Is
that one of those little islands in the pacific?

In any case, I think it would be great if the foundation setup a
process whereby everyday people can contribute funds to projects.
Those projects need to be approved and costed. Funds upto those
'per project costs' get accepted, then contributions are no
longer accepted for that project - (otherwise contributions will
exceed the cost of the project).

The projects once approved, could be published for people to see,
and then people decide if they want to contribute. Then the
commuinity of contributors essentially get to decide which
projects are worthwhile - i.e those that get funded by
contributors.

Essentially, crowd sourcing, and stop replying on big
corporations to decide what is worthwhile and what is not.