Being Positive

psychoticRabbit meagain at meagain.com
Tue Feb 13 04:15:26 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 02:29:46 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 23:54:29 UTC, Arun
> Chandrasekaran wrote:
>> Sorry if I'm hurting someone's sentiment, but is it just me
>> who is seeing so much negative trend in the D forum about D
>> itself? I don't remember seeing so much negative about Rust on
>> rust forum and so on.
>
> Yeah, I think it's a different community.
> I'm not sure why this is the case...

it's as you say...it's a different community.

Those communities that believe the community is more important
than the individual, are the very communities that like to
shutdown any negativity about that community.

It happens at the levels of countries (North Korea, Russia,
Syria, Iran, and so many others).

It happens at the level of organisations too (corporate and
non-corporate), and even at the social community level.

I think the D community is a very different social community,
where individuals feel free to 'assert' themselves. That is a
good thing in my opinion.

So negativity is a sign of healthy community (i.e. one that
doesn't try to exert itself over the individual).

Now I don't equate that negativity with bullying or such things,
i.e. actions that set out to do harm to others. That cannot be
tolerated in any community.

But negativity is not harmful, except in those communities that
want to exert their power over the individual.

This is essentially why negativity does not bother me. It's all a
matter of perspective.