Bye bye, fast compilation times

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:47:10 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 00:24:32 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 09:27:47 UTC, Stefan Koch
> wrote:
>> One thing that I really need in druntime is a cross-platform
>> way to allocate executable memory-pages, this can be done by
>> someone else.
> Is this on someone's agenda? It probably needs an enhancement
> request at the very least, I don't think it's there yet [1].

Was once on my together with other OS memory manager functions,
but postponed the work indefinetly.

https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1549

If someone is willing to revive that I’d gladly assist with
review.

Lastly on Windows it would need FlushCpuCaches call before
executing new memory.

And ofc JIT is cool, but it would be more cool to have sane
interpreter that doesn’t leak sooner. Simply put JIT is x5 work
due to different architectures and seeing first-hand how it goes
I’m not sure we want that in our compiler yet.