Being Positive

Dave Jones dave at jones.com
Tue Feb 13 09:46:14 UTC 2018

On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 23:54:29 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
wrote:
> Sorry if I'm hurting someone's sentiment, but is it just me who
> is seeing so much negative trend in the D forum about D itself?
> I don't remember seeing so much negative about Rust on rust
> forum and so on. Do you think it will help in reminding people
> not to post any negative things? It shouldn't become strict
> moderation, but at the same time, I really don't like seeing so
> much negative trend. I would even go to the extent and suggest
> to email Walter/Andrei in person (even if they don't agree) to
> vent your frustration with D, but please don't post it on the
> forum.

I think the thing is that the main D newsgroup has always felt
like a bunch of people arguing over how to make D better, and
that's kind of what it's always been, new ideas and directions
are discussed in here by the main devs. Do Go and Rust have
similar user groups, or do they do all that kind of stuff behind
closed doors and then dictate from the top of a tower?

Arguing, friction, grumbling, it's all a symptom of Ds open
volunteer based development process IMO.