Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Feb 13 11:11:27 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 10:45 +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I wish complaints about Dub would include exactly what was
> impossible with it. There's no reason to throw dub away and start
> something new. If one can run cmake before build in dub,  then a
> lot is possible. Those edge cases can be ironed out.

I think there have been many actual complaints made in detail in this
thread.

There is always a reason to replace, because you can build on what has
gone before and do better. CMake is part of the problem.

> Dub fulfills all my use cases so I don't complain. Those here
> with not much issue with dub will also not complain. And that
> does not make it a minority opinion without stats to prove dub
> usage.

No problem, and I guess you'll be happy to carry on using Dub after
something new and better appears. In the case of Maven → Gradle, many
people still use Maven even though it is provably inferior to Gradle
simply because they cannot be bothered to change.

> At point, dub will likely remain the default package management
> tool. The build functionality can be improved for those who deal
> with such stuff often. Manpower is what remains.
[…]

Why should Dub remain the one true way? Just because it was the first
doesn't mean it is the best.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200