OT: Photo of a single atom by David Nadlinger wins top prize

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Feb 14 10:58:34 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 09:09:32 UTC, Mike Franklin
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 01:11:33 UTC, David Nadlinger
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:09:07 UTC, Ali Çehreli
>> wrote:
>>> David (aka klickverbot) is a longtime D contributor […]
>>
>> … who is slightly surprised at the amount of media interest
>> this has attracted. ;)
>
> David, this is so cool.  Congratulations!
>
> But I've been wondering something:  Obviously atoms are not
> this large, so what are we seeing in that photograph?  atom
> motion-blur?

This article notes that the electrodes are 2 mm apart:

https://qz.com/1205279/photo-of-an-atom-a-scientist-captured-an-incredible-photograph/

Zooming in on the photo there, let's say the atom takes up 1/20th
of the width, so that would put it at 100 micrometers, or 1
million Angstroms.  This site says the width of a Strontium atom
is 4.38 Angstroms, likely measured by packing a bunch into solid
form:

http://periodictable.com/Properties/A/AtomicRadius.v.html

So yeah, it looks 250,000 times bigger than you'd expect,
probably because of all kinds of effects like the light spreading
out, the limited resolution of the camera's sensor, and motion of
the atom.