How to represent multiple files in a forum post?

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 14 20:16:32 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 18:33:23 UTC, Jonathan Marler
wrote:
> @timotheecour and I came up with a solution to a common problem:
>
> How to represent multiple files in a forum post?
>
> So we decided to take a stab at creating a standard! (queue
> links to https://xkcd.com/927)
>
> We're calling it "har" (inspired by the name tar).

Clever name. Har D har har {ducks!} :)

> Here's the REPO: https://github.com/marler8997/har and here's
> what it looks like:
>
> --- file1.d
> module file1;
>
> --- file2.d
> module file2;
>
> // some cool stuff
>
> --- main.d
> import file1, file2;
> void main() { }
>
> --- Makefile
> main: main.d file1.d file2.d
>     dmd main.d file1.d file2.d

This looks handy.

Yes, it's easy enough in markdown docs to just put code block
markers around them (such as ``` or ~~~).

Can the har file delimiter be more than three characters?

What do you think of allowing trailing dashes (or whatever the
delim chars are) after the file/dir name? It would make it easier
to see the delimiters for larger har'd files.

     module file1;

     module file2;

(Note that markdown allows extra trailing characters with its
ATX-style headers, and Pandoc does likewise with ATX headers as
well as its div syntax (delimited by at least three colons), for
that very reason --- to make it easier to spot them.)