Dub, Cargo, Go, Gradle, Maven

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl
Thu Feb 15 16:47:35 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 at 15:52:41 UTC, John Gabriele
wrote:
> It's a bit confusing since the first thing [the Guix
> webpage](https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/) talks about
> "GuixSD", rather than the Guix tool in its own right.

Yes. We discussed that at the hackathon before FOSDEM. It is
rather difficult to position a project that has so many use
cases...

> Wow, I didn't realize how established Guix is. It's [packages
> page](https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/) boasts 6868
> available packages!

~2000 added in the last year. I am updating the ldc package to
1.7.0 this week.

> Are any other languages using Guix for their 3rd-party online
> package repo? If not, why?

GNU Guile ;). The current state is that everyone is rolling out
some type of language support. The good news is that Guix allows
for abstracting existing build systems. If you look at a typical
python package you can see it leans on pip:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/python.scm#n1004

The package is written in Guile scheme, but you can see it does
not take a genius
to package something. In fact Guix can generate the actual
package definition automatically.

We have not written something similar for dub. But I can do that
if there is interest.

> Not at all. Seems like an amazing tool!

Agree. Give it a shot. It does not hurt your system because the
installer only uses /gnu (for the software) and /var/guix (for
the database). To uninstall simply remove those dirs.
Guix never overwrites system directories.