Dub, Cargo, Go, Gradle, Maven

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public12 at thebird.nl
Fri Feb 16 05:39:17 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 at 17:54:57 UTC, John Gabriele
wrote:
>>> Are any other languages using Guix for their 3rd-party online
>>> package repo? If not, why?
>>
>> GNU Guile ;).
>
> That's excellent. I remember years ago it looked like there was
> action in getting a Guile package repo going but it never
> panned out. Glad they found (and settled on) something! (Though
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/libraries/> doesn't say
> anything about Guix, and I don't see anything about Guix in the
> [Guile
> manual](https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/master/guile.html/)).

The Guile maintainers effectively use Guix for handling the build
chain and dependencies.
See Andy Wingo's blog https://wingolog.org/ - section 'getting
the goods' he discusses Guile packaging and Guix. Andy is the
main compiler writer of Guile. The following is a bit out of
date, but you get the idea

https://wingolog.org/archives/2015/08/04/developing-v8-with-guix.

> I'd love to see an overview article explaining how the pieces
> would fit together. Would Guix work with Dub? If so, what
> specifically (on GNU/Linux) would be required to make that
> happen, and what would using such a solution look like in
> practice?

I need to write a BLOG. After the Python one.

> I don't yet know enough about D and Dub to even know what
> giving Guix a shot would mean :). I'm on Debian and so use apt
> for installing software. I'll have to spend some time with the
> Guix (and Dub) docs.

I meant you can try Guix anyway. It will be a gain. I run Guix on
top of Debian myself. I am a real Debian fan - using Debian more
than 15 years. But when it comes to my development environment
and my software deployment I use Guix. Debian can not handle that
well enough.