Status of @nogc with the runtime

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 12:32:04 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 17 February 2018 at 12:18:28 UTC, Peter Campbell
wrote:
> I was checking the 2017 vision pages and was wondering why
> there hasn't been a 2018H1 vision page but also what the
> current status of being able to use D without a garbage
> collector is?

There are a number of ways to use D without the garbage
collector.  However, one of the easiest is with the -betterC
flag.  You'll want to read the two blog articles here
(https://dlang.org/blog/category/betterc/) for more information
about that.

2.079, the upcoming release will also have a way to use D without
the runtime and without -betterC.  What this allows you to do is
partially implement just the runtime features you wish to
support.  You can read more about it in the nightly changelog
here (https://dlang.org/changelog/pending.html#minimal_runtime)

You might also be interested in this article:
https://wiki.dlang.org/Memory_Management

Mike