Status of @nogc with the runtime

Peter Campbell peter at spcampbell.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 00:02:56 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 17 February 2018 at 23:43:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe
wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 February 2018 at 18:03:44 UTC, Peter Campbell
> wrote:
>> Andrei mentioned at his DConf presentations is that the
>> runtime itself will be modified to not rely on the GC,
>> allowing for you to continue using features such as
>> associative arrays and array concatenation, but without
>> requiring the garbage collector. Is my understanding correct?
>
> I haven't heard anything about that, and I doubt it would
> happen. How would you actually manage the memory? The
> front-facing api there doesn't offer any access to it.
>
> But, of course, it is quite easy to write your own types that
> do the same stuff (including operator overloading, of course)
> that do expose memory management, and you can use those with or
> without the runtime.

The first time I heard about this was the DConf 2016 keynote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oDK91E3VKs&feature=youtu.be&t=2023

Andrei discusses a reference counting based approach however
there are requirements which make it difficult to implement in
the runtime. It's also mentioned in both the 2017 vision
documents on the wiki.