Anybody still using the chm docs

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 21:38:04 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 18 February 2018 at 21:31:48 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> The essence here is that while dman might be useful, it's
> foundation is
> very complex and fragile, using ddoc JSON macros :o
> (https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/blob/cb44110267d0b5d2e139909c47fa00924ac1cb24/chm-nav.dd)

Minor correction - the JSON macros are not needed for dman. They
are needed for CHM navigation.

The core problem is that the dlang.org navigation (top menu) does
not exist in any semantic machine-readable format other than DDoc
macros. Previous chmgen implementations parsed HTML to understand
the site structure, but that became no longer possible after the
last dlang.org website overhaul.

There is no particular reason to use JSON here. I chose JSON
because I noticed that it seemed possible to generate
(almost-correct) JSON from the navigation DDoc files, so I took
the opportunity.

I think we could reuse this system to build a sitemap that is
more than a flat list of links.