Annoyance with new integer promotion deprecations

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Mon Feb 19 09:34:44 UTC 2018

On Monday, February 19, 2018 00:36:11 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Sunday, February 18, 2018 22:17:49 Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> >> But that's still the mail client, not the NNTP software.
> >
> > It's a problem with how mailman is configured. Yes, the user can remove
> > the second e-mail address from "To" when replying, but that's easy to
> > miss, and as I understand it, the e-mail client is doing the correct
> > thing when it puts all of the addresses in the "Reply-To" header in
> > "To" when responding. Mailman shouldn't be putting two address in the
> > "Reply-To" field if the first place, and if didn't, then this wouldn't
> > be a problem.
> >
> > And no, that's not a problem with NNTP, but it's a problem with the
> > interface that many of us use to interact with the newsgroup, and it's
> > not a problem with the clients that we're running ourselves to read and
> > send e-mail to the mailing list.
>
> Just to let you know, Thunderbird (what I use to post to NNTP) does not do
> that. Here's what the headers TB generates:
>
> -------------------------------------
> From: Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>
> Newsgroups: digitalmars.D
> Subject: Re: Annoyance with new integer promotion deprecations
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 22:17:49 -0800
it had this in its headers:

        "digitalmars.D" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>

So, regardless of what you send via NNTP, mailman is sending a Reply-To with
your e-mail address in addition to the mailing list address, and that's
what's causing the problem. So, anyone who's using the newsgroup / mailing
list / forum via the mailing list interface is going to have this problem
regardless of what their e-mail client is and regardless of what client or
interface the person sending the message used. The only way someone using
the mailing list wouldn't have a problem would be if their e-mail client
ignored the Reply-To header and used the From header to decide which e-mail
address to reply to, which would be incorrect behavior for an e-mail client.

As long as mailman is sending both addresses in the Reply-To header instead
of just the mailing list's e-mail address, anyone using the mailing list
interface is going to be sending e-mails to both the mailing list and the
person they're replying to unless they manually remove the person's address
from the To field before sending the message.

The only solution that I see is for Brad to adjust mailman's configuration
so that it stops putting the poster's e-mail address in the Reply-To header.

- Jonathan M Davis