How do you get comfortable with Dlang.org's Forum?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Feb 23 15:02:58 UTC 2018

On Friday, February 23, 2018 14:52:33 JN via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 13:47:16 UTC, biocyberman wrote:
> > =====
> > 1. No post editting. After clicking send, and found out that
> > you made mistakes in the post, but you can't edit the post
> > anymore.
> >
> > 2. Old-day quoting presentation. I always feel reluctant to
> >
> > read texts that stays after two levels of quotes, like this:
> >  >First post quoted
> >  >
> >  >>Second post quoted
> >  >>
> >  >>>Third post quoted
> >  >>
> >  >>Second post quoted

> Could the problem be caused by the fact that emails (which are
> underneath the forum) are threaded, but this forum is linear? It
> also causes a lot of offtopic discussions derailing the threads,
> while it'd be hidden in a subbranch when threaded. Perhaps that
> is something that could be considered (or there is a hidden
> threaded mode I am not aware of?).

Both e-mail clients and the web interface can display the e-mails as either
linear or threaded. Regardless, It's typical for quoted sections to be
marked with >, and as stuff gets quoted multiple times, the >'s get deeper.
Regardless, having quoted text can help considerably in both following
what's being said as well as seeing what someone is responding do
(especially if something goes wrong with the threading, which does happen
from time to time).

- Jonathan M Davis