How do you get comfortable with Dlang.org's Forum?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 15:18:37 UTC 2018

On 2/23/18 8:47 AM, biocyberman wrote:
> Want to learn something from you guys.
>
> forum.dlang.org is by far the biggest gathering point for Dlang users.
> So, even though I wanted to get away with using stackoverflow.com, I
> have to come back here. However, to me it easier for me, I would like to
> know how you guys get comfortable with using the forum?
>
>  From my experience with forum platforms like vBulletin, phpBB, Invision
> Power, and even interfaces of Google group, and Github Issues, I still
> find it very difficult to understand the logics of using dlang's forum.
> FYI, I am not a new user of internet, I'd rather consider myself someone
> can take pain to learn new useful things. And I've administered some
> forums myself. Yet I would like to name a few things below. They may
> irritate some hard-working contributors of dlang community. But I by no
> means want to make this a discussion of hate. So, how do you guys
> overcome these problems:

thunderbird NNTP client.

> =====
> 1. No post editting. After clicking send, and found out that you made
> mistakes in the post, but you can't edit the post anymore.

Meh, its possible with NNTP, but this also allows abuse of editing. I
don't find this that horrible. Maybe pay attention to the spelling
corrector?

> 2. Old-day quoting presentation. I always feel reluctant to read texts
> that stays after two levels of quotes, like this:
>   >First post quoted
>   >>Second post quoted
>   >>>Third post quoted
>   >>Second post quoted

Thunderbird substitutes those with nice colored bars, so I can easily
see the level of quotes.

> 3. No Rich-text format support. No minimal bold/italic support. Some
> tools to emphasize important points will make it easier to let the
> readers know what the posters want to say.

TB has these, though I prefer plain text. It supports a crude form of
markdown, so *bold*, _underline_ all are enhanced by TB. Emoticons turn
into graphics too ;)

> 4.  No code formatting. Same feeling here. I am reluctant to post more
> than 5 lines of code.

You can use a link to a code sample on https://run.dlang.io/ which
allows your code to be tested in the browser as a bonus.

> 5. No image support. In many cases a screenshots will be helpful to
> communicate problems.

Yeah, this is a limitation I'm not sure how it can be overcome.

> 6. Last but not least, a trendy feature: tags, keywords for threads so
> we can locate related threads easily.

If you want to tag posts on your own, TB does this.

-Steve