How do you get comfortable with Dlang.org's Forum?

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Fri Feb 23 16:57:46 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 13:47:16 UTC, biocyberman wrote:
> From my experience with forum platforms like vBulletin, phpBB,
> Invision Power, and even interfaces of Google group, and Github
> Issues, I still find it very difficult to understand the logics
> of using dlang's forum.

You make it sound like "I even learned clay tablets" :)

> 1. No post editting. After clicking send, and found out that
> you made mistakes in the post, but you can't edit the post
> anymore.

Stackoverflow has this feature, and it's pretty popular on forums
too, because when someone abuses editing, people complain that
discussions make no sense anymore.

> 2. Old-day quoting presentation. I always feel reluctant to
> read texts that stays after two levels of quotes, like this:
>  >First post quoted
>  >>Second post quoted
>  >>>Third post quoted
>  >>Second post quoted

Stackoverflow and github have this feature. Though normally web
interface hides the angle quotes, so they shouldn't interfere
with reading.

> 3. No Rich-text format support. No minimal bold/italic support.
>  Some tools to emphasize important points will make it easier
> to let the readers know what the posters want to say.

Bold and italic is a wrong way to format text because it's visual
formatting that lacks semantic. You can use markdown to add
*emphasis*, it's pretty intuitive, stackoverflow and github have
it too. Emphasis only expresses emotions, which can actually
distract from content, you better spend time expressing ideas.

> 4.  No code formatting. Same feeling here. I am reluctant to
> post more than 5 lines of code.

run.dlang.org

> 5. No image support. In many cases a screenshots will be
> helpful to communicate problems.

abload.de

> 6. Last but not least, a trendy feature: tags, keywords for
> threads so we can locate related threads easily.

Usually nobody bothers to fill them, so they won't give you any
result.

> If I may say it honestly, and despite the useful 'save unsent
> draft' feature, the forum is by far the most user-unfriendly
> forum platform ever (by appearance).

If I were to order them by user-friendliness (in descending
order):
dfeed > forums >>> github > stackoverflow > skype