Postgres and other database interfaces

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Sat Feb 24 10:20:21 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 at 07:57:47 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 February 2018 at 05:33:56 UTC, Joe wrote:
>> Back on 13 January, I posted in the Learn forum some questions
>> regarding using Postgres and got a reply that stated the
>> following:
>>
>> On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 02:28:29 UTC, Matthias Klumpp
>> wrote:
>>> In any case, please don't start another Postgres library and
>>> consider contributing to one of the existing ones, so that we
>>> maybe have one really awesome, 100% complete library at some
>>> point.
>>
>> I'm revisiting this because I now have had the chance to look
>> at the various libraries and IMHO the "really awesome, 100%
>> complete library" depends on the users' goals and their
>> definition of awesome and complete.
>>
>> Aside from ddbc which is like ODBC/JDBC and thus supports
>> multiple db's (not my interest), I've found five
>> Postgres-specific libraries worthy of further exploration:
>>
>> 1. derelict-pq. This is the most downloaded one and is simply
>> a binding over libpq, so AFAICT it's nearly 100% complete.
>> It's also well-documented, in part because the Derelict
>> libraries provide overall guidance, but mainly because a D
>> user can refer directly to the comprehensive libpq
>> documentation and (C) examples. The only strange fact is that
>> it's been stuck in a beta.3 release for the last five months.
>>
>> 2. dpq2. Second most downloaded and built on top of
>> derelict-pq. The "documentation" consists of a README listing
>> the features and a single example, which appears to focus on
>> support for JSON/BSON.
>>
>> 3. vibe-d-postgresql. Third most downloaded and built on top
>> of dpq2. Docs consist of a single example program.
>>
>> 4. ddb. About the same number of downloads as the above.
>> Implemented on top of front/backend protocol. No documentation
>> although repository has a folder with two sample programs.
>>
>> 5. dpq. Implements its own wrapper over libpq and has some ORM
>> functionality. Docs are a README with example program.
>>
>> The main issue is that, other than derelict-pq, using any of
>> these libraries involves reading the library code and
>> understanding the sui generis interfaces implemented by each.
>>
>> I'm new to the D community, but coming from Python, the
>> contrast is significant. First there is the well-documented
>> PEP 249 (https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/)
>> promulgated by the Python DB-SIG (and note that 249 is v.2),
>> which led to the implementation of psycopg (also
>> well-documented including various extensions to the API) and
>> many other adapters to Postgres and other databases.
> Some developers spend hours writing code but don't feel the
> need to speed minutes documenting or at least showing how to
> use their code. Part of the reason others roll their own (one
> they will understand).  Goes on and on.
>
> If its for their personal use,  then they shouldn't put it on
> dub to saturate the ecosystem.
>
> I sometimes go around sending pull requests to some with sample
> [...]
+1
I want to subscribe to this.
To improve the D ecosystem it would be a plus point to mark all
libs at code.dlang.org having documentation with a special sign.

Most people want a solution for their problems, they don't want
to make an analysis,
which of n available libs is best to use. Most more widely
adopted languages offer
the needed DB connectors in their std.

The medium step between expanding the std lib and having nothing
official might be,
to try to adopt more for the dlang git repro.
(https://github.com/dlang-community)
(As mentioned before)

Even if the first choice might be not the best of all available
libs for one problem,
if the community has started to develop _one_ solution for a
problem, the value of contributing to this increases
dramatically. I think the community is not big enough to support
five different well documented, well designed and understood libs
for solving the same problem.
Regards mt.