Postgres and other database interfaces

Denis F denis.feklushkin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:56:23 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 at 05:45:45 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> There is plenty of desire to build a generalized SQL interface
> for Phobos.
>
> But somebody needs to do it and it won't be all that much fun
> to do.

I want to dwell on this.

It seems to me that this is a common misconception that it is
possible to create a good universal tool for accessing the
database in place of the many existing ones.

SQL is something like BASIC from the 70-80s: there is no single
standard, there are many dialects. And the differences are both
syntactic and deep, for example, Postgres and Oracle differently
interpret the ANSI standard concerning transactions. The same
applies to the connection layer: some of the databases allow you
to organize a gradual download of the results, some - feedback in
the form of something like "events", etc. Also, Postgres
quarantiees that result of query will be immutable and this is
very useful, but some one another DB maybe not.

At best, such a tool will be suitable for simple trivial things.

On the other hand, needing  for this is also not obvious -
databases in real projects isn't switched usually every
week/month because they are not interchangeable, except for some
very simple cases. Usually RDBMS engine should be elected based
on your requiriments before you start to use it.