Slow code, slow

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Tue Feb 27 14:04:14 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 13:35:14 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> Martin Tschierschke wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 08:49:15 UTC, Stefan Koch
>> wrote:

>> [...]
>>
>> When looking at the problem of compilation times I think:
>> Wouldn't it speed up the development process, if spiting your
>> code in modules would automatically results in creating small
>> libs which are - if possible - compiled only once?
>>
>> The idea of using a caching mechanism, is an other general way
>> not to compile the same over and over again. Part of the
>> discussion is here:
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7239#issuecomment-340256110
>
> basically, compilation of a code without templates is FAST.
> 500+ KB of source almost without templates often compiles in
> less than a second (on not-so-bleeding-edge i3, not even i7).
>
> but throw templates in a mix, and BOOM! coffee and cigarettes.

My negative experience was, when using ctRegex and normal regex.
But it was no problem to separate the functions using regex in a
lib and compile
them separately. (app saving 3 seconds)

The same approach was working with .dt (diet template in vibe.d)
and the function(s) instantiating it, put both together in an own
lib. And define it as a local external dependency. In the moment
I am thinking about a way to do this automatically.
So that every new build of my vibe.d app, only needs to compile
the changes.

(p.s. I am aware of this:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/diet-ng#experimental-html-template-caching)