Go 2017 Survey Results

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Feb 27 15:01:45 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 February 2018 at 21:37:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 09:04:20PM +0000, Ali via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: [...]
>> 2) generic programming is important
> [...]
>
> It's something sorely lacking in Go, so it's not unsurprising
> it's a big item on the list.

It's also something that they've kept out of the language by
design. I don't disagree with that decision either. If the
selling points are fast compilation and code that is simple to
write and read without much knowledge of the language, it's hard
to see how generics fit in. Look at D. Templates slow compilation
and having a standard library that emphasizes generic code makes
it much harder to learn.