Go 2017 Survey Results

JN 666total at wp.pl
Tue Feb 27 15:30:44 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 15:01:45 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> It's also something that they've kept out of the language by
> design. I don't disagree with that decision either. If the
> selling points are fast compilation and code that is simple to
> write and read without much knowledge of the language, it's
> hard to see how generics fit in. Look at D. Templates slow
> compilation and having a standard library that emphasizes
> generic code makes it much harder to learn.

I'm no expert on programming language design, but I think there
is a difference between templates and generics. At the basic
level they are used for similar things - specializing container
types, etc. But templates usually allow much more, so they end up
being layers of layers of compile time code, e.g. D and Boost,
which while nifty has it's compilation time cost.