C++ launched its community survey, too

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Feb 27 20:33:18 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 17:33:52 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 15:52:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
> wrote:
> > https://isocpp.org/blog/2018/02/new-cpp-foundation-developer-survey-lite
> > -2018-02
> >
> > Andrei
>
> I have submitted, already. My major complaints boils down to the
> fact that they refuse to deprecated features due to religious
> like devotions to backwards compatibility support.

The main problem with that is that the fact that as soon as you're willing
to break backwards compatability in C++, then you lose one of the major
benefits of C++ (that the same code compiles pretty much forever) and that
if you're willing to give up on that, you might as well be using another
language like D or Rust. I'm sure that there's a crowd who would love to
break some aspects of backwards compatability with C++ and stick with it
rather than switching to another language, but if someone actually really
tried to fix C++, you wouldn't end up with C++ anymore. You might not end up
with D or Rust, but it would definitely be a new language, and if you're
willing to do that, why stick with C++?

The other problem is that many of C++'s problems come from being a superset
of C, which is also a huge strength, and it would be a pretty huge blow to
C++ if it couldn't just #include C code and use it as if it were C++. To
truly fix C++ while retaining many of its strengths would require fixing C
as well, and that's not happening.

- Jonathan M Davis