How do you get comfortable with Dlang.org's Forum?

Vang Le myemail at mail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:48:12 UTC 2018

H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:01:44PM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 17:56:29 UTC, Biocyberman wrote:
>>> Speaking on behalf of myself, after additional inputs from many
>>> excellent and respectful users in this 'forum'. I can say that, on
>>> the scale of 1 (least geeky) to 10 (most geeky), I would put
>>> forum.dlang.org to the level 8 of geekiness required to use the
>>> forum. It may be natural for long-time users, but for newcomers, it
>>> is very challenging.
>
> Hold it right there.
>
> You're saying that it's a bad thing for a *programming language* forum
> to have a high geekiness rating?  Implying that *programmers* (y'know,
> ostensibly the target audience of said forum) are not geeky enough to
> know how to operate a geeky forum?
>
> Whoa.  I think I need to sit down.

I don't mean to go into the good vs bad direction. What I was saying is
that it is hard to get comfortable and use the forum the most
effective/convenient ways. The forum should not be a technical barrier
for members to communicate conveniently.

With that said, I am glad that I put up the questions and got a bunch of
useful tips to use the forums. FYI, the most useful one is to install a
NNTP client and use the 'forum' the way it is, a NNTP server with a web
interface.

>> I have to admit that I don't understand this. I don't think it would
>> be possible for it to be simpler to use this forum. No registration
>> needed, plain text messages, just click "Reply" and type in your
>> message. Additional features would make it more complicated.
>
> Well, obviously non-programmers (or should I say, "non-geeky
> programmers", whatever that might mean) have every right to be able to
> operate a forum dedicated for a programming language without any undue
> handicaps, so we have to make concessions on the level of "geekiness"
> required to participate in the programming language discussions that
> take place here, such that said discussions would be more accessible to
> said non-programmers (or "non-geeky" programmers, whoever they may be).
>
> P.S. I think my geekiness-11 brain just blew several fuses and 2
> transistors.  Please excuse me while I take a break to go off to the
> brain shop to replace them. Maybe I'll pick up an oxymoron compensation
> diode on the way as well.

We need to take a break sometimes, too much geekiness everywhere slows
us down. At least that my experience.