Opt-in non-null class references?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Feb 28 23:58:44 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 19:43:07 Kagamin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 at 14:05:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > Walter is almost always against features that require it,
> > because it's so hard to get right
>
> Doesn't difficulty depend on what exactly to get right? It's not
> a spherical problem in vacuum.

Feel free to discuss any code-flow analysis issues with Walter, but he's
consistently been against using it for much of anything whenever I've seen
him discuss it. Not even stuff like VRP covers multiple lines of code,
because doing so would require code-flow analysis. And he's specifically
said that he's against using it for detecting when a null pointer is
dereferenced. IIRC, he's stated that dmd's optimizer uses code-flow analysis
for some stuff, but for anything that involves putting it in the frontend
where the behavior would have to be encoded in the spec, he's been against
it.

- Jonathan M Davis