Developing blockchain software with D, not C++

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 10:54:27 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 at 10:58:09 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 December 2017 at 16:59:41 UTC, aberba wrote:
>> In this video[1] from 2016, developer talks about C++ memory
>> safety features, meta-programming, maturity and few others as
>> main reasons they choose it for developing their blockchain
>> software (the way I got it from a quick view).
>>
>> Besides, D maturity (which I can't confirm or deny), what else
>> does D miss to be considered a better alternative for
>> blockchain in 2018?
>>
>> D is also more productive, has safety and unittest built-in.
>>

>> 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jq4frE5v4
>
> The better question is whether blockchain is worth implementing
> in D? ;) It wastes a ton of energy with the most common
> proof-of-work approach and, as I've pointed out here before,
> there are better ways to do it:
Maybe, maybe not. Let the developer decide for none of us know
the future of such technology with certainty.

> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/bitcoins-insane-energy-consumption-explained/
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/xzuzvykrqouqlsjmkvug@forum.dlang.org
>
> But some decentralized approach, if not blockchain, is
> undoubtedly going to be a huge winner, and of course D would be
> a great language with which to build it.  The lead developer of
> Bitcoin Cash, currently the fourth-most valuable cryptocurrency
> (https://coinmarketcap.com), gave a talk on doing crypto in D
> at the last DConf:
>
> http://dconf.org/2017/talks/sechet.html

That talk was more about cryptography/performance/security IMO. I
don't recall him talking about blockchain software with D. Seems
he is in a good position to give such a talk now that
blockchain/cryptocurrency is getting loud.