Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:53:38 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 at 04:43:42 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> Well, consider the silent 'minority' too, who still think that
> increasing performance, and reducing demands on resources,
> still matter, a lot, and that we shouldn't just surrender this
> just to make programmers more 'productive' (i.e so they can
> ship slower GC code, more quickly).

I think most of the people in this minority (which actually I
think was a majority a few years back) has given up on D as a
production language.  I am certainly in that group.  It is
starting to be a bit late to change direction now IMO. I mean, it
is still possible, but that would require a mentality shift,
which has been surprisingly difficult to establish.

Given the increased availability of memory in computers I think
an application language with built in compiler-supported arena
allocator will be a big win, but the only mainstream language
that is going for this seems to be Golang. (Go is an application
language, not a systems language).

> What it really comes down to though, is language designers
> ensuring that any language that defines itself as a 'modern
> systems programming language', gives control 'to the
> programmer', and not the other way around.

Right now, I think only C++ and Rust fits the "modern system
programming" description… GC and refcounting is for application
level programming, so it shouldn't even be on the table as a core
solution for that domain.

But D seems to be content with application level programming and
that's ok too, but a bit misleading if you also say that you aim
to be the best language for low level programming… I don't really
think it is possible to be good at both without a massive budget.

You have to pick what you want to be good at. And that is the
main problem with the evolution of D; a lack of commitment to a
specific niche.