What don't you switch to GitHub issues

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Jan 4 07:17:51 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 06:39:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> I have an idea I'm working on to potentially help get older
> bugs squashed and older PRs merged. I need to hash out the
> details before getting it going, but I'll blog about when (and
> if) it comes to fruition. There are no guarantees it will be
> effective, but it's worth a shot.

I think this might also be a good project for one of Andrei's
students ;-)

i.e a detailed analysis of D's bugzilla repository.

Present the findings and recommendations.

> In the meantime, you could help reduce the pile by picking a
> bug to fix today. Multiple people, particularly those concerned
> about the number of old issues still open, who donate one or
> two days a month to fixing old bugs could go along way. The
> same goes for reviewing PRs.

I'm too much of 'big picture' person to get into such details ;-)

Fortunately, not all are like me ;-)

The problem, I suspect, is more to do with people wanting to
contribute to things that matter most, and, that their
contribution will be considered in a timely manner, by people
with suitable expertise. If such a process exists, I am not aware
of it.

I don't think just saying to people, 'go and find some bug that
interests you' is sufficient to get people motivated, IMHO.