Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 08:28:31 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 08:09:27 UTC, Dan Partelly wrote:

> Now my perception is that D tries hard to be both, with some
> regrettable consequences. Started as a GC language with
> language features which depend on GC, and a std which was done
> for a GC language and has dependency on GC. But it also envied
> the cars which can be driven off roads, so it allowed GC to be
> disabled. At the cost of being unable to use parts of the

Envy? Hardly. Being able to disable D's GC was a feature from
early on. Phobos has been modified over the years to make it more
compatible with that scenario, as was widely requested.

> language, and whole parts of std. Then it got even more envious
> and got a -betterC mode whose raison d'etre is unclear, apart
> from some people saying it's Walter's toy, which crippled D
> even more, and made std a dubious proposition until someone
> goes through it step by step and see the traps.

The reason for -betterC is quite clear (and again, has nothing to
do with envy): to make it easier to port C (and eventually C++)
code to D, and to make D easier to use in environments where the
runtime is a burden (e.g. OS kernels). It does not "cripple" D.