How do you use D?

Mengu mengukagan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 13:07:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 16:20:48 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 11:43:35 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 11:13:04 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> I perceived that there was a lot of hype around Python 15
>> years ago or so. Now, universities are replacing Java with
>> Python as the introduction language and Python is also
>> becoming the defacto language for scientific programming.
>> Python is basically getting critical mass and is now managing
>> to take on Matlab and perhaps  to some extent even C++/Fortran.
>
> Python has done well in those niches, but when is the last time
> you saw a popular GUI app written in Python?  That is the
> largest segment of the market, and Python has basically no
> uptake there.  Even Java got nowhere in the consumer GUI
> market, other than a few p2p apps like Vuze and the now-defunct
> Limewire, largely for piracy.

you could not be more wrong. there are tons of python gui
applications. pygtk, pyqt and wxpython are great libraries that
allows you to create desktop apps very easy and fast. D does not
even have a good solution except for gtkD which is a one man
show. if it wasn't for Mike we would not even have it. leadership
does not care. remember qtd guys stopping everything because a
bug was not getting fixed?

there's also one other thing: atom, vs code, spotify, slack are
all running on electron. does it make it a better platform than
python?