Some Observations on the D Development Process

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:50:25 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 18:09:32 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 17:44:58 UTC, Jack Stouffer
> wrote:
>> DMD also has at least 30 PRs which have had no action from the
>> author in over a year. There's no reason these should be kept
>> open; they just take up auto-tester resources and lower the
>> signal to noise ratio.
>
> FYI: stalled PRs don't take up resources (except they target
> stable, which is why one of the reasons stable PRs should be
> merged ASAP). It's due to the auto-tester sorting PRs by their
> activity.

They waste resources of folks looking to review stuff that is
actual and active.

> BTW: For those who haven't seen this, dlang-bot now detects
> these stalled PRs and for now labels them as "stalled":
>
> https://github.com/dlang-bots/dlang-bot/blob/master/source/dlangbot/cron.d#L60
>
> I'm not sure whether auto-closing them is a good idea, but we
> definitely need to do sth. about them.
> Also one year without any activity is a very long time.

It’s not like we loose anything, we don’t delete code of the
author. So should he/she find time - just create a new PR. Also
these willing to dig in the closed PRs are free to do so (it’s
just a couple of passes to add a filter to your search).

Personally, I’d say 3 of months of silence usually enough to put
off most except for seasoned contributors. Many opensource
projects do even worse job but we should look at the best
examples.

> Dlang-bot currently uses 90 days though imho that's already
> very conservative.

Just tagging doesn’t really help, I already can sort by activity.