What don't you switch to GitHub issues

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Thu Jan 4 19:06:14 UTC 2018

Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Thursday, 4 January 2018 at 07:47:41 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > I'm missing Kenji...
>
> Me too. :-(  Does anybody know what happened to him? He just sortof
> dropped off the radar suddenly and I haven't been able to find out where
> he went or what happened to him since ~2 years ago.

I don't know the details, but I heard that he got annoyed when Andrei closed
some of his PRs that were supposed to reformat the compiler's code to match
what it had been before it was automatically converted to D (since
apparently, the automatic conversion mucked with some of the formatting). I
gather than Keji preferred the way that the code had been formatted before,
whereas Andrei thought that PRs that just changed formatting were a waste of
time, but I don't know. There may have been other causes of friction
involved, or something else may have happened in his personal life, but it
sounded like Kenji got annoyed/frustrated over what was happening with his
PRs for dmd and left.

Either way, he was a strong contributor, and it's a shame that he's gone
now. Plenty of other good contributors have basically fallen off the map as
well, but his loss is probably more strongly felt than most given that he
was able to do an insane amount of work, and he was one of the core
contributors to the compiler.

- Jonathan M Davis