What don't you switch to GitHub issues

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Jan 4 19:21:53 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 12:06:14PM -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, January 04, 2018 10:27:37 H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 10:23:57AM +0000, Paolo Invernizzi via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> > > I'm missing Kenji...
> >
> > Me too. :-(  Does anybody know what happened to him? He just sortof
> > dropped off the radar suddenly and I haven't been able to find out
> > where he went or what happened to him since ~2 years ago.
>
> I don't know the details, but I heard that he got annoyed when Andrei
> closed some of his PRs that were supposed to reformat the compiler's
> code to match what it had been before it was automatically converted
> to D (since apparently, the automatic conversion mucked with some of
> the formatting). I gather than Keji preferred the way that the code
> had been formatted before, whereas Andrei thought that PRs that just
> changed formatting were a waste of time, but I don't know. There may
> have been other causes of friction involved, or something else may
> have happened in his personal life, but it sounded like Kenji got
> annoyed/frustrated over what was happening with his PRs for dmd and
> left.
>
> Either way, he was a strong contributor, and it's a shame that he's
> gone now. Plenty of other good contributors have basically fallen off
> the map as well, but his loss is probably more strongly felt than most
> given that he was able to do an insane amount of work, and he was one
> of the core contributors to the compiler.
[...]

Yeah, his absence is sorely felt, even today.  He used to be one of the
defining figures of D, esp. dmd, and I have good memories of what I call
his "zero-day bug fixes" -- those of you who were around then would
understand what I mean. :-P  I hope we can learn from this experience so
that we don't lose more strong contributors in the future.

Another person I miss is bearophile... while AFAIK he did not actually
contribute code, he was very active in submitting bugs and enhancement
requests, many of which led to significant improvements to D.  He also
just dropped off the radar without any sign of what happened.  Did he
get frustrated with D and went to Rust or Go or something?

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: I have preferences.  You have biases.  He/She has prejudices. -- Gene Wirchenko