Some Observations on the D Development Process

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 5 04:26:25 UTC 2018

On 1/4/2018 9:44 AM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> DMD also has at least 30 PRs which have had no action from the author in over a
> year. There's no reason these should be kept open; they just take up auto-tester
> resources and lower the signal to noise ratio.
>
> If the author comes back later, they can always ask a maintainer to reopen.

I can't agree with the "just close older bugs and PRs." There's good stuff in
them. Even if the PR is no good, it provides insight to someone working on a
better fix. Closing it means nobody will ever be aware of it or look at it again.

Relying on the original author to revive it will not work.

It's similar with older bugs. They still have discussion on them that
contributes valuable information and insight to anyone wishing to work on it.
Closing them with no action means the information is all lost.

As for autotester resources, it should be easy enough to have it skip testing
any PRs that have had no activity for XXX days.

I don't believe "Logan's Run" makes a good foundation for a functioning QA system.