Some Observations on the D Development Process

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri Jan 5 15:39:23 UTC 2018

On Friday, 5 January 2018 at 04:20:06 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/4/2018 7:41 PM, Mike Franklin wrote:
>> If you have simple, mundane work that needs to be done, make a
>> list and send it my way; you should have my e-mail address.
>> But please be specific; "fix error messages" is just going to
>> get a reply from me asking questions.
>
> Ok, fix error messages, like you've seen me doing already. To
> find which files need work,
>
>     grep "error(" *.d
>
> does the trick, turning up:
>
> ctfeexpr.d
> dimport.d
> dinterpret.d
> dscope.d
> e2ir.d
> expression.d
> expressionsem.d
> func.d
> glue.d
> iasm.d
> mtype.d
> nogc.d
> nspace.d
> opover.d
> optimize.d
> s2ir.d
>
> as needing ` `. There's a lot of work just there :-( It's best
> to resist the urge to do more than just add in ` ` where they
> are obviously appropriate. Don't make perfection the enemy of
> better. I've found it best to have only one PR for this at a
> time, otherwise it's a lot of extra work rebasing.
>
> A longer term goal is to find ways to refactor the code to make
> maximum use of pure, const, scope, and nothrow.
>
> I appreciate any and all help with this.

We should put things like this somewhere where it can easily be
seen by others.
The obvious candidates are the Wiki and Bugzilla, but both have
historically proven to yield poor results, e.g.

https://wiki.dlang.org/Get_involved#Contribute_to_the_DMD_and_DRuntime

So let's try something new:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/projects/2

Note that GitHub supports two labels for issues: "help wanted"
and "good first issue" and provides many interfaces that let
interested people discover such issues.
For details:

https://help.github.com/articles/finding-open-source-projects-on-github/
https://github.com/nodejs/admin/issues/20
https://github.com/showcases/great-for-new-contributors (<- Rust
appears here)

Of course this only works for GitHub issues.