Dll support: testers needed

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Tue Jan 9 15:03:00 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 at 14:43:43 UTC, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
> Am 09.01.2018 um 12:02 schrieb MrSmith:
>> Is it possible to put common code in exe, and use that code
>> from dlls? Or anything can be exported only by dll?
>
> You can only export from dlls. I don't know of any use case
> where exporting from a executable would make sense. No, you
> can't put common code into a executable and use that code from
> dlls. Thats not how dlls are designed to work on windows.
>
> If you absoutely still want to export from an executable you
> can still use -L/EXPORT:"mangledSymbolName"
>

>> Is it possible to have circular dependencies between dlls?
>
> No. You will get linker errors. Same as in C/C++.
>

>> Tips for doing dlls with dub?
>>
> Well, first my PR will have to get merged. Then you'll have to
> wait until a release exists that actually has my changes and
> then maybe there is support added in dub. Before that I think
> trying to use dub to create dlls is wasted effort.

I am building a bridge between Delphi and D. At the moment the
executable is written in D and the Dll (Firemonkey UI) is written
in Delphi. But I think I want to enable also the other way
around. The D coding which is then located in the Dll should be
able to call Delphi methods located in the executable. The whole
idea idea is that all logic is written in D and you only use the
Framework (ui) and libraries Delphi provides.

I think this might be a valid use case for a Dll calling
functionality located in the exe.

Kind regards
Andre