Bump the minimal version required to compile DMD to 2.076.1

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri Jan 12 16:40:40 UTC 2018

On Friday, 12 January 2018 at 16:21:25 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
> On Friday, 12 January 2018 at 16:13:39 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> Motivation
>> ----------
>>
>> 1) It's required for Walter's work on using -betterC for the
>> backend conversion:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6907
>>
>> 2) We start to run into random failures lately, e.g.
>>
>> https://github.com/braddr/d-tester/issues/63
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7569#issuecomment-356992048
>>
>> 3) There's also WIP to move dmd-cxx to 2.076.1:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7595
>>
>> So if we have to bump the minimal dmd version required to
>> build DMD anyways for (1), let's be clear about it and state
>> it.
>>
>> Anyone objecting?
>
> Yes! we cannot keep bumping the version of the compiler,
> personally I find 2.072 rather steep!
> really we should be able to build with 2.068.

FYI: There has never been an official bump to 2.072
You can still build dmd with 2.068 - that's the version
auto-tester uses.

However, I think you didn't understand my question.
We _will_ bump the minimal required version to compile DMD soon
(see [1]).
That being said, what's the point in wasting hours of hours
working around the bugs in 2.068.2 when we will do the bump one
month later anyways?

[1] https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6907