Developing blockchain software with D, not C++

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 02:07:12 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 at 23:03:27 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Thanks for these thoughts!
>
> * (u)cent support
> * fixes for the shared qualifier
> * ownership mechanism
>
> These took less than 1h to add support for? That would be
> awesome... but realistically only the (u)cent sounds like that
> size of effort.
>
> I've always wondered why we can't implement struct
> LargeInt(uint bytes) as a library mechanism for larged
> fixed-size integers, with asm specialization for LargeInt!8. Is
> adding the type to the compiler necessary, and if so, why?
>

> Andrei

That is the proposed path for bootstrapping the compiler.

See
https://github.com/d-gamedev-team/gfm/blob/master/integers/gfm/integers/wideint.d
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7699
and recent effort to have struct as the main integral type in the
compiler.