Bump the minimal version required to compile DMD to 2.076.1

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Tue Jan 16 11:51:35 UTC 2018

On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 13:25:26 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> So why not to use cross compilation?

As I said before, you could do that for the initial port, say
cross-compiling a build of ldc master for DragonFly by using ldc
master on linux.  However, from then on, you'd either be stuck
requiring all your DragonFly users to do the same or checking
that cross-compiled DragonFly binary into a binary package
repository somewhere.  I don't think any OS does this, as usually
the binary packages are all built from source.

However, most source package repositories like ports expect
everything to be built from source, so you'd still have to port
2.067 and any other bootstrap D compiler versions needed to do
everything from source.

This is the lock-in that keeps most systems tied to C/C++, but we
have no choice but to adapt to that.  If and when dmd gets into
the base OS now that it's boost-licensed, as some want to do for
Fedora and elsewhere, that changes for those platforms.

On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 13:51:26 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> Btw, ther is a gdc which stil uses c++ version of dfrontend, so
> on DragonFlyBSD you can build dmd using gdc.

Except you'd still have to port that gdc to DragonFly first, so
gdc changes nothing about the above equation.