[theory] What is a type?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 00:07:44 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 at 06:26:34 UTC, thedeemon wrote:
> "Practical Foundations for Programming Languages" by Robert
> Harper

Well, I have that one, and the title is rather misleading. Not at
all practical.

> electronic computers and it's still very relevant today. Anyone
> dabbling into compilers and programming language theory should
> learn the basics of type theory, proof theory and some category
> theory, these three are very much connected and talk about
> basically the same constructions from different angles (see
> Curry-Howard correspondence and "computational
> trinitarianism"). It's ridiculous how many programmers only
> learn about types from books on C++ or MSDN, get very vague
> ideas about them and never learn any actual PLT. Of course type
> is not a set of values, or any other set, not at all.

I don't really agree with this, empirically speaking. As many
people have designed good languages without such a focus, and
many have designed not very good languages with this focus...

Anyway, let's not make this too complicated, no need for a pile
of tomes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_theory