Bump the minimal version required to compile DMD to 2.076.1

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Jan 17 05:39:31 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 at 22:11:46 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 10:13:31PM +0000, Johan Engelen via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> We shouldn't bump the required dlang version while knowing
>> that it will break current distribution packaging. Before
>> bumping the dlang version to something that would require more
>> than one bootstrap step from C++, let's make sure that the
>> distributions that we care about have something set up
>> _already_ that meets the new dlang version requirement.
> [...]
>
> Is there currently a viable cross-compiler for D?  That would
> solve, in theory anyway, the bootstrapping problem.  I suppose
> to be truly viable, we'd need dmd to be able to cross-compile,
> which AFAIK it can't just yet.

Ldc has proven to be very viable.  kinke has demonstrated using
it on linux/x64 to cross-compile for Windows:

https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases/tag/v1.3.0

The ldc package for Android/ARM in the Termux app is
cross-compiled from linux/x64:

https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/blob/master/packages/ldc/build.sh

However, while this makes it easier to do the initial port to a
new platform, you still come up against the bootstrapping from
source requirements of source package repositories, as I pointed
out above.