__traits(documentation, X)

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jan 17 17:23:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:52:40AM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> This proposal has comment *contents* affecting the build. The charter
> of comments is to NOT affect code, ever. They can be used to affect
> other systems, such as the ddoc generator, ide hints, etc., but you
> can be sure (?) that comments won't change code.
>
> I think this is an important line not to cross.

+1.  The thought of comments affecting code scares me, and not just a
little.

> One of the features promoted in this is to have the documentation be
> used for command-line help. I think it would be better to allow ddoc
> generation be affected by code rather than the other way around in
> this regard.
[...]

That's actually a much better idea.  Have some way of injecting, say, a
string UDA into ddoc so that you can have one source that generates both
documentation and command-line help.  The latter is already possible,
and easy to implement; now we just need the former.

MAS = Mana Ada Sistem?