gRPC in D good idea for GSOC 2018?

yawniek yawniek at srtnwz.com
Fri Jan 19 10:14:15 UTC 2018

On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 19:28:08 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> I know a project where D could benefit from gRPC in D, which is
> not among the supported languages:
>
>   https://grpc.io/docs/
>
> Do you think gRPC support is worth adding to GSOC 2018 ideas?
>
>   https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2018_Ideas
>
> Ali

Problem here is that D lacks a proper http/2 stack.
unfortunately due to time constraints my libh2o binding project
got stuck.

Imo the real problem with D is still that phobos does not provide
the important building blocks for today modern infrastrucutre:

- fast and standardized eventloop compatible with Ds concurrency
primitives
- network protocol libs/ bindings ( http, http/2, tls, dns )

until there is effort to do this D will continue to be an
ecosystem of hacks.
I really like vibe.d but it comes with a lot of problems and it
has the focus of providing a usable web framework and not
implementing protocols in a fast and reusable way.

so as long as "management" does not decide that internet
protocols is something important in D nothing useful will come
out. Just look how beautiful Golangs protocol implementations are
and the whole ecosystem that focused effort spawned.