gRPC in D good idea for GSOC 2018?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 05:54:31 UTC 2018

On Monday, 22 January 2018 at 04:40:53 UTC, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Monday, 15 January 2018 at 19:28:08 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
>> I know a project where D could benefit from gRPC in D, which
>> is not among the supported languages:
>>
>>   https://grpc.io/docs/
>>
>> Do you think gRPC support is worth adding to GSOC 2018 ideas?
>>
>>   https://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2018_Ideas
>>
>> Ali
>
> An http/2 and gRPC solutions is probably necessary with tools
> like linkerd, envoy, and istio if D wants to be competitive in
> service mesh and distributed applications.
>
> http/2 and/or gRPC are both excellent ideas for GSoC 2018.

I would consider them awful in a sense that there is no
foundation to build them on. At best it will be a self-serving
artifact poorly fitting with anything else.

There is not even a standard way on handling IO as of yet.
Basically do we want fiber-aware IO or blocking IO or explicit
async with future/promise?

Do we even have protobuf package?