D at Netflix

Guilherme Pereira de Freitas guilherme at gpfreitas.net
Wed Jan 24 19:16:10 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 at 20:41:47 UTC, Vasudev Ram wrote:
>> On the reddit or Hacker News thread (congratulations on
>> getting approval from Symantec - v exciting) there was a guy
>> from Netflix who said he was using D there, I think for data
>> science.

That person may be referring to VectorFlow, a library focused on
single-machine, shallow neural networks:

https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/introducing-vectorflow-fe10d7f126b8

Looks very interesting. No dependencies. I actually ran into
issues trying to work with large, sparse feature matrices in
Python using some of the standard tools (scipy, sklearn) and some
newer tools (numba and dask) and when looking up different
approaches, found VectorFlow. Thought you guys may want to know.

The fact that they didn't use any external library (in part
because they want to keep it minimalistic and hackable) was
interesting to me. There are different sides to that choice.